Friday, May 6, 2011

In Honor of My Mom

To Remember Me


At a certain moment a doctor will determine that my brain has ceased to function and that, for all intents and purposes, my life has stopped.
When that happens, do not attempt to instill artificial life into my body by the use of a machine. And don't call this my 'deathbed'. Call it my 'bed of life', and let my body be taken from it to help others lead fuller lives.

Give my sight to the man who has never seen a sunrise, a baby's face, or love in the eyes of a woman.

Give my heart to a person whose own heart has caused nothing but endless days of pain.

Give my blood to the teenager who was pulled from the wreckage of his car, so that he might live to see his grandchildren play.

Give my kidneys to one who depends on a machine to exist from week to week.

Take my bones, every muscle, every fiber and nerve in my body and find a way to make a crippled child walk.

If you must bury something, let it be my faults, my weaknesses, and all prejudice against my fellow man.

Give my sins to the devil.

Give my soul to God.

If, by chance, you wish to remember me, do it with a kind deed or word to someone who needs you. If you do all I have asked, I will live forever.

by Robert N. Test


This piece was so close to her heart, that she carried it in her wallet, and we found it after she passed away. Through her work as an R.N./case manager, she became a huge proponent of organ donation, and because of this, was able to help so many, even upon her death.

Happy Birthday, Happy Nurse's Day and Happy Mother's Day, Mom! Thank you for teaching me to stand up and believe in something.

I love you and miss you so much!

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I wish more people would think about organ donation it would save so many more lives. I was one of those people that didn't think much of it I always wanted to do but never did until one day we found out my husband needed a liver transplant! I am so thankful for the family that gave us our husband, father, friend back to us Thank you Wendy for sharing this with us! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete