Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Ode to Keith :-)

We had to say goodbye today to someone who has filled our heads, hearts and home with music for several years... The boys have known him for over half their lives, so his departure is difficult for them, and all of us....
Thank you, Keith, for your patience, your kindness, your quiet, encouraging ways...for enduring toes on the piano keys, backbends over the bench, emergency snacks mid-lesson, for sitting through all of the toy demos, and shenanigans...for feeling our ups and downs almost as much as us, and, for appreciating our newest member almost as much as we do. But most of all, thank you, for giving
us all the gift of music....What an awesome gift it is.
We wish you the very best in your new chapter!



Although it has taken longer than I'd hoped to put together, it has been so fun to go back through old photos and videos for this post. I am amazed at how much the boys have grown, both in stature and skill, since the time that they began working with Keith. (Unfortunately my videography skills haven't improved much at all...)



Remembering back to when Ben was about 3, while we were listening to a lullaby CD, he was able to pick out and name the different ins
truments playing in the song-and correctly, without any coaching or prior discussion with us. I was amazed at his ear for music and really felt piano lessons would be a great thing for him. With the help of my dad (and a few other kind, strong souls) we were able to acquire on old piano, and his lessons began shortly thereafter, at age 5. He didn't love it initially, but I insisted he tried 3 lessons before he decided to quit or continue. I'm so glad he chose the latter, and I'm pretty sure he is, too.


First recital, December 2007, age 6
I just LOVE the looks on their faces in this one...:-)
And look how little he was...







Joy to the World



Recital Number 2, December 2008. Although Josh wasn't interested in starting formal lessons yet, he wanted a part, so Keith let them play the "Linus and Lucy" song from Charlie Brown together-so nice to see the boys working as a team...;-)

Ben age 7, Josh age 6





And Recital Number 3, in December of 2009....
Ben, age 8...



And Joshy, age 7...



Poor Josh looks so nervous that he needed the piano to hold him up...

Part of my favorite all time song-Canon in D...makes me tear up every time.


And here they are again, exactly the opposite of how they are in real life...(Ben cutting up, while Josh looks painfully anxious!)


Thanking Keith with goodies...he always appreciated them. =)

And their final official recital, in June of 2010. Poor Joshy, still not able to relax before his turn...;-)



<





And these final two songs were the last ones they were working on with Keith, and two of my very favorites. I taped Ben doing a perfect version of his on Christmas day, but it wouldn't load because it was too long. So here is his modified version-can you tell he is a little annoyed with me, for making him do another take? lol...

Ironically, before being the mother to two boys, I had always said, only half-joking, my boy(s) would "play piano, not hockey"...whether they decide to continue or not, I'm so very glad they did.
It has been a fantastic journey. Thank you for everything, Keith.
You are missed already....

No comments:

Post a Comment